Akpabio, Ododo React to Senator Natasha’s Assassination Claim

The political climate in Kogi State took a dramatic turn on Tuesday following the controversial visit of suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan to her constituency, despite a government-imposed ban on rallies and public gatherings.

Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central Senatorial District, made her way to Okehi for a Sallah celebration and homecoming event, where she was greeted by thousands of jubilant supporters. Her visit, however, ignited tensions, drawing strong reactions from Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Kogi State Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo, who accused her of disregarding security directives and inflaming an already delicate situation.

The senator’s arrival in Okehi came despite a curfew imposed by Okehi Local Government Chairman, Amoka Monday. Accompanied by her husband, Emmanuel Uduaghan, she arrived in a helicopter around 11 a.m. and was met by cheering supporters who sang and danced in the Ebira language.

Before her visit, Akpoti-Uduaghan had raised concerns about her safety, posting on Facebook: “Should we be met with or infiltrated by violence, Nigerians should hold Gov Òdodo, Yahaya Bello & SP Godswill Akpabio wholly responsible.”

While addressing the crowd, she alleged a plot to assassinate her, implicating a senator in collusion with former Governor Yahaya Bello to orchestrate the act.

“Senator Asuquo drove Yahaya Bello to Hilton. The meeting was in two folds—he asked him to commence my recall and also to arrange my killing. He said the killing should happen at home, not in Abuja,” she claimed.

She also accused the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of facilitating a fraudulent recall petition against her, questioning how 250,000 signatures were allegedly gathered within two days.

“INEC must explain this. The names are fictitious and untraceable. The whole process is a ruse,” she asserted.

The Kogi State Government swiftly denounced the senator’s allegations, labeling them as “reckless, malicious, and utterly false.” In a statement signed by Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo, the state described Akpoti-Uduaghan’s remarks as an attempt to incite unrest.

“Her statement exposed her plans to use her visit to stir trouble and violence. We will not allow any part of the state to go up in flames,” the statement read.

The government accused her of violating the curfew and rally ban, suggesting her claims were meant to divert attention from her suspension and legal issues.

“She is not a victim but an instigator of disorder,” the statement added, warning that she would be held responsible if any violence erupted in Kogi Central.

Similarly, the Kogi State Police Command reaffirmed the ban on political gatherings, with Commissioner of Police Miller Dantawaye stating that the command had earlier warned Akpoti-Uduaghan against holding the Sallah rally.

Meanwhile, Senate President Akpabio, through his media aide Eseme Eyiboh, declined to engage with the lawmaker’s accusations, calling the matter “subjudice.”

“There is no way to comment without linking it to the Senate President, who is a party to the suit,” Eyiboh told The PUNCH in an interview.

Akpoti-Uduaghan has been in the spotlight following her accusations against Senate President Akpabio, alleging sexual harassment. The Senate Ethics Committee dismissed her petition, instead issuing her a six-month suspension without pay on March 6.

Since then, political tensions have escalated, with mounting friction between her and key figures in both the legislative and executive arms of government.

Share

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Verified by MonsterInsights