Northern Farmers cultivating onion has cried out over their produce going bad as suppliers has totally refused to supply the produce to the Southern region of the country.
It was reported that not less than 50 trucks of onion has rotten away in their farms and markets since the blockade started.
The Onion Producers and Marketers Association (OPMAN) had earlier announced the discontinuing of the supply of onions to the entire South on Monday, citing insecurity and the government’s failure to compensate its members who suffered losses in the past.
Aliyu Isa, the National president of the association, disclosed this when addressing journalists at a press briefing in Sokoto on Sunday.
He said the association’s decision was based on the recent hijack of two of their member trucks by armed men suspected to be members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
“If the government fails to adhere to the demands of the association, we are shutting down the supply of onions to the entire South by Monday, June 7, 2021,” Mr Isa was quoted by Daily Trust.
According to him, about N4.5 billion worth of onions and properties were destroyed by suspected hoodlums across Southern states in the last few months in addition to the loss of lives of members of the association without any compensation.
“During the last EndSARS protests, other people were compensated leaving out our members,” he said.