Access Bank Leads, Zenith Drops As 2022 List Of Top 10 Largest Banks In Nigeria By Customer Deposit Release
Total customer deposits in 10 Nigerian banks listed on the Nigerian exchange hit N38.08 trillion as at the end of September 2022.
This is higher than the N37 trillion Nigerians deposited in the bank as at December 2021.
The latest figures are contained in the banks’ unaudited financial records for the third quarter of 2022, submitted to the Nigerian exchange.
The banks captured are Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, FBN Holdings, GTCO, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Stanbic IBTC, Sterling Bank, Fidelity, and First City Monument Bank and Wema Bank.
Breakdown of customer deposits
For the top 10 largest banks ranking based on customers’ deposits, it is led by Access bank. This is the position once held by Zenith bank in previous years.
Here is how the banks rank according to their customer deposits
• Access Bank –N10.25 trillion.
• Zenith Bank, N8.04 trillion
• United Bank for Africa (UBA), N7.81 trillion
• First Bank Holdings, N7.61 trillion
• Guaranty Trust Holding Company (GTCO), N4.39 trillion
• Fidelity Bank, N2.29 trillion,
• Stanbic IBTC, N1.65 trillion,
• Union Bank N1.53 trillion,
• Sterling Bank N1.30 trillion,
• Wema Bank N1.07 trillion.
Why is bank deposit important
Customer deposits remain one of the most competitive items in the banking sector since it is from this medium that loans are issued and other investments are made.
Also, the deposits have a very important meaning to the Bank because it is the basis for assessing whether the Bank is strong or weak.